Monday, May 7, 2012

Tye Dye Madness

At our school we tye dye shirts for our classes for our field trips and for Rojelio, the dance instructor who comes for two weeks at the end of the year.  I have always seen the brightly colored tye dyed shirts but I have never been a part of the procedure until this year.  And let me tell you it is quite the procedure. 1st you have to collect shirts from all of your kiddos.  Then you have to take those shirts home and wash them (without a dryer sheet or the tye dye will not stick).  Then you have to rubber band the shirts and wet them.  Then you put the actual dye on the shirts.  Make sure you wear heavy gloves or your hands will look like mine:
and let me tell you, this dye does not come off.  It literally took three days of washing my hands multiple times a day and scrubbing like heck to get the dye off. 
But anyways moving on, you then let the shirts sit in saran wrap for a day or two before laying them out on your lawn to dry for at least 24 hours.  Then you put the shirts in your bathtub and rinse them out.  Then you put the shirts in the washing machine and finally you have beautifully tye dyed shirts.  
I sure hope my kiddos appreciate their shirts.  I never knew tye dye was so much work!?!

No comments: